Friday, August 13, 2004

Kayleigh had her second doctor appointment today. She's a growing girl! She's up to 9 lbs 1 oz and 21.5 inches. That's still smaller than my little brother was when he was born. I can't imagine having a baby that big! She has officially graduated from newborn diapers and is finally filling out her clothes. She looks so much bigger than when she was born.

Kayleigh is a pretty good baby. My only complaint is the child can't figure out how to get to sleep on her own. I know I'm supposed to let her cry it out....but she doesn't stop crying! One night she cried for almost three hours....after that I just couldn't take it anymore. She'll fall asleep if you are holding her, but if you put her down too soon she's wide awake and screaming in five minutes. Lately she's been waking herself up after about an hour and refusing to go back to sleep...she's not hungry or dirty....just tired and crabby. If I pick her up and rock her she goes right back to sleep! Like today...I think she's maybe napped for a total of three hours and it's almost 5 pm. I'm getting a little frustrated with this...since this means I get no sleep also. So if anyone has any suggestions on getting a baby to sleep, I'll take it! Other than that, I have no complaints!

Well, she's has yet again woken herself up and is screaming, so I'll write later! Love to everyone.

4 comments:

Caroline said...

I was just reading an article about that. It says they will calm down if you put them on their side or stomach and wrap them tightly in a blanket and have some kind of constant NOISE going on. Sounds wacky eh? Supposedly babies get too uncomfy and scared by not being tightly wrapped up. Also the womb is supposed to be way louder than a VACUUM cleaner, so they say if you keep constant noise going then they feel more comforted. There is a book called "the happiest baby on the block" which I found on amazon.com for $7.00. It is all about having a calmer baby who sleeps more! Sounds like something you might be able to use! There is also a website www.thehappiestbaby.com. Of course, I do not actually HAVE a baby yet so who knows if it is true!

Mike said...

we want to see your baby and we want to hang out with you. let us know when's good for you. we understand it's difficult being new parents.

Joshua Rudd said...

Who said you're "supposed" to let her cry it out? i think there's something to be said for wrapping her up in a blanket like a burrito -- but if all that does is give her the feeling of being close to her mother, then why not let her be close to her mother?

Infants aren't meant to be independent. College students, sure. But not infants.

There's a reason moms have the mother's instinct. Don't be afraid to use it, even if those male doctors tell you not to.

Charlotte said...

Well, I don't know who Joshua is, but I couldn't agree with him more. There's something to be said for listening to what babies tell you. I'm glad you figured out her desire for a new routine. It's hard to figure out what's going on when a baby's only way of communicating is crying, but rest assured that the thing in your gut saying "something's not right here" will be your guide through the next two years. Don't tune it out!

Hoping to come meet my neice soon :-).