Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Since there are people who read this that are much wiser than I in the parenting department, here are a few issues I'm dealing with. Suggestions very much welcome!

  • William is obsessed with his sister's room. Problem is, she doesn't want him in there.
  • Kayleigh really is a grump in the afternoon, but refuses to nap.
  • How do you discipline your children when you also must discipline other children? I have this personal rule that I do not spank other people's children, but I do spank my own. The issue comes into play when one of mine and another have committed a crime together, a crime I would normally spank my child for.
  • I think Kayleigh is going through some kind of "four-years old but acts like a thirteen-year old" stage. Everything is dramatic and I mean everything. The girl cries over the littlest things!
  • I need to figure out something to ward off the post-naptime crazies.
  • William laughs at me when I correct him, especially if I attempt to lower my voice. Nice.
  • William might be past the biting stage, but now he's in the hitting/knocking down/pushing stage. He gets so angry and I'm not sure how to help him communicate in a better way.
  • Kayleigh told me she doesn't want me to be her teacher next year...she wants to go to school. I don't want to force homeschooling, but am also worried about what they'll do since she is doing Kindergarten work this year. She's not a genius...she's a regular 4 year old who just happens to read at a higher level, so I really wouldn't want her skipping grades. But at the same time, I wouldn't want her to be bored and not challenged to continue learning.
Why can't parenting be easy?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have a couple things. 1. William laughing is TOTALLY age appropriate. you just need to be consistant
2.refusing to take a nap or refusing to have quiet time. SHe may not have to sleep but you can make her lie down with a book for an hour or so
3. I have no idea about the other kids I have my hands full with my own and do not have others all day
4.The room issue boundries- my son is the same age as william and though he laughs at me he also know what he cannot do just stay consistant
5.GIRLS ARE DRAMATIC I know very few girls who are not.Just work on teaching her to control her emotions
remind her to use her words
6.I assume u mean post nap before suppercrazies that All kids go through!! This one is tough I suggest a structured activity- coloring or puzzles seem to help at our house
7 try teaching Williamsign language it helps a million %
8. The homeschool issue. I believe 100% that some things are not up to children. Parenting is your job and if you feel called to Homeschool by God then it really does not matter what she wants that is between you and God.
Being a parent is hard I cannot imagine juggling that school and having other kids in your house. Remember God made you the parent you are in charge and they areto fall in line and obey.

some chick said...

i just duct-tape them to the back wall of the closet for a little while. that usually works. good luck. if you can figure out how to get a five-year-old to listen to anything i say, I'm all ears.

Justin and Michelle said...

Justin has suggested covering a wall with Velcro or installing some eye hooks in strategic places throughout the house.

It's nice to know my kids are totally normal!

Brent said...

"fall in line and obey?"

Hmmm.

Not too sure I'd agree. Sure, they are to submit to the authority of parents (as Ephesians and other points of Scripture are clear on). However, "falling in line" isn't how I'd phrase it.

See, Scripture is equally clear that we're not to provoke our children to anger. We're to be loving and consistent in "training them the way THEY should go." We should embody the fruit of the Spirit so that we make it desirable and easy for them to obey.

I don't want my kid "falling in line." I want them to joyfully and lovingly serve, and I want them to learn that from a predictably loving and joyful Dad. They're going to think freely, and, if I can help it, avoid doing it "because I said so."

I hope anonymous used "fall in line" more lightly than it sounds.

Brent said...

Oh, but giving credit where credit is due, #5 from anonymous is right on. Even though I have two girls are are not dramatic, teaching them to control their emotions and using words is excellent advice.

Anonymous said...

I did not mean fall in line and obey it was just a PHRASE but teaching devinatly leads to obedience!At least I offered suggested opposed to velcroing to the wall!!!!!!!!!!!!
I have way more than two kids and they obey more times than not they are a joy to be around so Imust be doing something right

Brandon and Jenny said...

Hey Michelle - I have all kinds of advice that will fix all of your issues! JUST KIDDING!

I am lerning right along with you (and I am a big proponet of spanking for the record) but I am going to e-mail you some "love and logic" stuff that my mom mailed me yesterday. It is all about natural consequences and doing things with out spanking. At least maybe it will give you ideas as to what to do with a mixed crowd.

There is stuff about toddler aggression. I am reading it now and we can try it out together and give each other feedback.

I think that there is a book (or two, maybe) that might be more helpful but I will get the articles out to you today.

And right on Brent about the following statement:
"I want them to learn that from a predictably loving and joyful Dad (Mom)"

though, sometimes I am saying to my toddler in a joyful way with a smile on my face "BoyD...FALL IN LINE AND OBEY!" :)

Alicia said...

No parenting experience in this area yet, but I have a teacher suggestion that worked for me in my classroom for 4 years. (Although kids are completely different when it's their mom v. their teacher calling the shots.) I had several VERY dramatic girls. They would hysterically cry over EVERYTHING. Maybe moreso than Kayleigh. I set up a cute, colorful mat in a tucked-away place. When they would get especially dramatic, I'd explain that I could help them when they calmed down and they could use the mat to do so. They came to understand that the mat was a place they could go sort through their emotions (which seem ridiculous to us but are very real to them) on their own, but that their hysterical, dramatic tears were not a form of communication. When they were a little more calm, they'd dry their eyes and come chat. This is not a cure-all, but maybe will work for Kayleigh. She may just need a special spot just for her to 'cry it out.' Hope this is helpful!