Friday, October 24, 2008

What's the old saying? "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"!

Last Spring I picked up 1A and 1B of the Singapore Earlybird Math series and we almost completed the first workbook over the summer. Kayleigh really enjoyed it until the last lesson or so...it required drawing and that's just not her thing right now. I really wanted to use Saxon Math instead anyways, so we switched in Sept....don't know why, well, probably because I found the K teacher's guide for $7.00. So far, she's not liking it and I'm not really liking it; here's why:

  • No workbook--Kayleigh is a workbook junky. I think it gives her a sense of accomplishment when she has to keep turning pages to get to the lessons we are on.
  • Repetitive, repetitive, repetitive....did I say repetitive. I mean, how many times does a child have to sort something by colors to figure it out. Kayleigh is one of those kids that picks up new skills really fast, so the repetition is just plain boring her.
I think I am going to eat the $7.00 and switch back to Singapore Earlybird.

So the lesson learned here is: It's not a good deal unless it's a good fit!

2 comments:

Charlotte said...

ROFL. You have hit the nail on the head with my math issue, only replace "Saxon" with "Horizon." OMG, the scope and sequence was a NIGHTMARE! We've had good luck lately with a couple of DK math workbooks we have (see my library shelf on my blog). I think since they're designed to be "enrichment," the scope and sequence moves much more quickly, which is what I (we!) need!

Also, I decided that if you're reading John Holt, I should be, too ;-). I've been homeschooling for three years now and not read a bit of his writing. I was happy to see that our library system has How Children Learn, Teach Your Own, Escape from Childhood, AND What do I do on Monday?! I'm going to place holds on a couple and have them sent to my local library today and hope they are INSPIRING homeschool reading (rather than guilt-inducing!).

Anonymous said...

WOW you are learning things that take most people years to learn I am thrilled to watch you grow in the homeschooling journey