Saturday, August 18, 2007

So, as Justin said, I was a single mom for almost two weeks...I don't know how single moms survive, especially those without any family support around. I am lucky enough to have both sets of grandparents and my sister nearby, so it wasn't too bad.

Made an "A" in my English class and received 48 out of 5o points on the final paper! I'm pretty proud of myself on that account, seeing as I wrote most of the paper with two babies crawling around at my feet. Only 42 hours left...two more English, one sociology and the rest are math!

My ten-year high school reunion is coming up in October...yikes! Not exactly excited, but I am looking forward to seeing a few folks. I am still amazed that I somehow manage not to run into anyone from high school more often. It's hard to believe that high school was ten years ago...feels like more from my perspective. It was at the beginning of my senior year that I made a misguided decision that took me down a road I'd rather forget. Suffice it to say, that year and the two that followed were pretty crappy. Now, looking back I don't even recognize the girl in my memory as me. Paul wrote in the book of Romans that when men turn their backs on him, he gives them over to a depraved mind...well, it's true. I often wonder why I was allowed to go down that road. I hear stories from people about God keeping them from making stupid decisions and think, "Why didn't he protect me?" He probably tried and I just didn't pay attention. I think the main thing God has taught me from that episode is compassion. People do stupid things and I think, sometimes, Christians are the last people to offer grace, when they should be the first. It is easy to look at the actions of a person and make judgment, but you cannot know what circumstances brought about the actions just from looking at a person. That is not to say circumstances justify sin, but they can explain it to some degree. Whenever judgmental thoughts come to mind, I think of Jesus's Sermon on the Mount. There are no "degrees" of sin with Him; you lust, you commit adultery; you hate, you murder. The attitude behind all of them is the same. I wish more Christians would get this.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I heard something once about it being so easy to forgive a stranger but those close to us and that we love are so hard to forgive.
I'm very thankful for your friendship and compassion from your heart!!
Marilee

cookiehawk77 said...

You will be able to minister to people because you walked that road that the people who were "protected" cannot. It may not have been fun, but it shaped who you are today and God will use it in some way -- maybe years from now.
Carol

Anonymous said...

Great post Michelle. I echo Marilee's thoughts.

Congrats on your A! You set an amazing example, I can't even bring in A's and I don't have little ones to contend with. Good job!

Sammi

From Carlys Eyes said...

Sammi beat me to it. You pretty much amaze me sometimes.

Anonymous said...

There's no pretty much on my part. She does amaze me

-Justin

Robyn Rochelle E. said...

Amen and Amen - I love you - am proud of you - pray for you!
Hugs from germany