Friday, August 17, 2007

To Sea, or Not to Sea,that is the question.

Well, 7 years in the making and I think I'm finally going to get to make up to Michelle a "real" honeymoon. See, our first one was done on a shoestring budget of less than $500 I think. That's what happens when you get married too young, I guess. I should have listened to the wisdom of Brent when I first got married and taken on some debt to splurge on our honeymoon.

So, 7 years later I have enough choice to actually spend money on a vacation, and a real one. So now our dilemma is what to do. We're thinking of a cruise with some dear friends, The Rutschmans. I hear cruises are a fabulous value for what you get. I've also heard it's more fun with friends because it's nice to be able to do things with other people you know, yet you still have the ability to just be a pair.

We're also kicking around getting a condo on the beach in/around Gulf Shores Alabama. See, this is where I'm learning from the past. I am actually listening to Brent who can't shut up enough, er, heap enough praises on the greatness that is Gulf Shores. I'm looking at some pictures and it does look pretty gorgeous. I'm also a fan of keeping my tourist dollars in the local economies. Yes, I'm sure Europe is wonderful and all, but there is so much to see and do in MY country that I want to see and do those things first. Then, I'll consider overseas. I'm very much a patriot when it comes to that.

So, the question for anybody that actually reads this, is what else to consider? Ideally I'd like to be able to drive to save money on a plane ticket unless said plane ticket is available for less than $200 per person. Any suggestions?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
From Carlys Eyes said...

I might be able to help you with a condo in gulf shores.

some chick said...

gulf shores IS great. i've been there too. it's hard to go wrong with a beach.

Anonymous said...

We stayed in Puerta Vallarta, Mexico a few years ago. We did it all inclusive. The hotel had several restaurants which was nice- go to the room, spiff up and walk downstairs to a 4 star restaurant. We took excursions- horseback riding to a waterfall with lagoon swimming, parasailing, a party cruise, snorkling. We also rented motorcycles. It was incredible. And in Puerta Vallarta, it is less touristy and more authenic.

Kristi said...

Galveston, there are great restaurants (see July/August posts on my blog), you can drive there, and there are cruises that leave from there.