Wednesday, September 10, 2008

I must admit, Brooke makes a very good point. I think I was little overzealous in planning Kayleigh's Pre-K year. This week we have skipped out on the Math, Explode the Code, and the Sonlight K History stuff, and already there is attitude improvement from both of us! I am still having her read to me at least 10 minutes or so a day and going through the handwriting materials. Needless to say, my decision is not yet made and it probably won't be until next summer.

In thinking about next year there are several facts to consider:
  1. Right now the plan is for me to retire from childcare in June or so (or only have one extra--he turns 5 next Oct, plus he's gone by 1pm). This lightens up the load quite a bit in terms of number of kids and the freedom to do stuff during the week, like maybe get together with another homeschooling family for something educational/fun!
  2. William will be three, which, to me, is much easier than two!
  3. My mother-in-love is using us as a school project this semester, so I should be much more organized. We are working on the meals part right now and it's amazing how much having a plan eases the daily grind! Can't wait to get my closets in order (hint, hint).
  4. I might actually be able to go to Women's bible study during the week, which would also give Kayleigh and I some time apart.
  5. Kayleigh will be old enough to attend the children's thing at church on Wednesday nights, so she would have time with kids her age.
The intention has always been to send our children to school at some point before 6th grade, mainly because both of us truly enjoyed our public school experience and there are just some opportunities we could not give them by homeschooling, i.e. UIL sports, band, art classes, etc. So really the decision is not if, but when. Sorry to bore you with the goings on of my brain. I think better in writing.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am thrilled things are better. You know what always helps me is that I just say I will homeschool NOW I used to say this year but with 6 kids I now say JUST today *wink* things do change and you really do not have to be commited to a long term anything. One can get bogged down in technical things and miss out on the day to day. Enjoy watching her learn NOW and then see whatthe future holds

Justin and Michelle said...

I'm thrilled, too! I have this horrible tendency of trying to plan everything out for the next 10 or so years. Slowly, but surely, I am learning to take things one day at a time. It's hard though...I want a PLAN!!!

Charlotte said...

It's really hard to plan to homeschool for 10 years. Just a week is too much for me to commit to sometimes...

I agree that in an area with passable schools, it is probably a much harder decision to make. However, when Samuel was in school at 5, it just felt like it was too early for me not to be the primary presence and influence in his life. He wasn't ready and I wasn't either. There's also a change that takes place in mama when she knows that this is a *choice* that she has made to be around her children all day. I was amazed and didn't realize how much I had been waiting "until he's in school" until well...he WASN'T in school, if that makes sense.

And yeah, take it easy. Kids learn whether we "teach" them or not. I'm probably way more relaxed than you or Justin would ever be comfortable being, but the one thing that I have learned is if learning isn't child-led, it's just not fun for either of you.

Baby crying, gotta run.

Alicia said...

Michelle,

Just wanted you to know that the same things are going through my mind right now. Thankfully we have several years ahead of us before the decision needs to be made, but it is on the radar. We are considering moving (to another house in the same area), but schooling will make a difference. If I homeschool, it's senseless to pay the enormous taxes in an area with exceptional public schools. But on the same token, what if homeschooling just doesn't work out. We don't want to then be in an area that has sub-par schools. We haven't decided on Hannah's education yet, and a lot of it will depend on her personality, but boy is it a lot to think about! I'm enjoying reading your thoughts, and I'll be praying for you!

Alicia