Wednesday, February 20, 2008

**Bragging Parent Alert**

Kayleigh was coloring yesterday and yelled out, "Mommy I wrote my name!". I, of course, blew it off thinking she had done her usually scribbling that she calls writing. Well, when I walked over to look at her paper this is what I saw:



Starting with the pink "K" is a pretty recognizable "Kaylei" followed by a scribble and an "h". Of course the "a" is backwards, but that's totally normal for a three-year old. I have not begun instructing her on handwriting, but I am beginning to think I might need to before she develops incorrect writing techniques. Right now we are concentrating on phonics and basic math with a little art and science thrown in. I was worried that I was beginning to school her too early, but she actually requests to "do school" on a regular basis, so I don't think I am rushing her into it.

3 comments:

From Carlys Eyes said...

Congrats on teaching her so well. That is so exciting to see her grow. I also doubt that what I am doing is too far advanced for my little one but she always amazes me with what she knows. Of course we cant even draw a triangle yet but I am hoping I do as well with Jess as you are doing with your kids.

Justin and Michelle said...

The funny thing is...I'm not really doing anything. She figured out how to write those letters completely on her own. I was totally amazed, but then again as her parent, I think she's super amazing anyways!

Charlotte said...

YAY Kayleigh! That's so awesome. I love when they "learn" something that you haven't really been "teaching" them. The biggest thing I've learned in homeschooling the last two years is that I'm a facilitator and NOT a teacher.

I'm glad that you're following her cues and doing some organized "schooling" with her. Samuel really seemed ready for school at the 3-4 age level and when I started looking into curriculum, everything said that you should just play with them at that age and that they're so young and there's so much time...I'm sure you've heard it all. While I do agree with those things, some kids need more intellectual stimulation than others and when Samuel did get it, he decided to provide his own sort of intellectual stimulation (did I ever tell you about the time he gave the cat a hot-oil treatment? ;-).

So anyway, kudos to you for meeting her needs in a way only a mama can :-)!!